owserver is the most flexible part of the entire OWFS system.
What's the point?
- Providing a buffer between the 1-wire system, and the higher level file-system view.
- Allowing communication over the network. (The owserver protocol)
- Negotiating multiple users of the 1-wire system.
- Speeding up slow 1-wire access by caching intelligently
- Recording statistics on errors and use, and attempint automatic repair of communication
- Allowing complex connections -- multiple 1-wire busses, owserver to owserver connections, etc.
How does it work?
- Standard tcp server application
- Well documented, open, non-restricted protocol
- Accepted as a DNS SRV (RFC 2782) Service Type -- _owserver._tcp
- Submitted to the IANA for a well known port assignment .
How can I use it?
- owserver is run by standard means (depends on operating system -- service/daemon/command line...) under Windows,MacOSX,Linux,FreeBSD
- owserver functions can be easily access over the network:
- command line shell commands
- Visual Basic