Automatic networkingSo you want all the pesky network connections to "Just Work"? There's a solution: Bonjour.
Tha basic technology is from the Apple Macintosh, and we use their freely available code for OWFS.
Basically, programs can announce their presence, abd find each other.
Annoucers (Bonjour registration):
- Type: _owserver._tcp
- Type: _owhttpd._tcp and _httpd._tcp
- The second registration is a standard web server and will be shown be Safari, Konqueror and other Bonjour-enabled web browsers.
- Type: _ftp._tcp
- Standard ftp server will be shown by programs like kftp.
Automatic port assignments
- Ports are assigned automatically by the operating system
- No concerns over clashes with other services or instances
- Port assignments are published via Bonjour
- Using Bonjour code
- Command line options
- owserver examples
- owhttpd examples