- Bonjour is Apple's implementation of the IP Service Discovery technique
- Uses DNS records and multicast
- Generically Zero Configuration (zeroconf)
- Excellent Wikipedia article
- O'Reilly book
- Officially assigned DNS SRV types:
- owhttpd: _owhttpd._tcp AND _http._tcp
- owserver: _owserver._tcp
- owftpd: _ftp._tcp
- Uses Apple's mDNSResponder library, which is ported to Linux, BSD and Windows (and OSX natively)
- Licensed as Apache (supposedly GPL incompatible) through version 107.5
- Now licensed as BSD, so GPL compatible.
- OWFS development done against 107.5, but since OWFS is GPL, next Bonjour release is recommended.
- Support compiled in if:
- --enable-zero (default) ( not --disable-zero ) in configuration step of compilation
- libdns_sd found (dns_sd is DNS Service Discovery from Apple's Bonjour code)
- Header file "dns_sd.h" found in system include path
- Compatible with Avahi, Konqueror and other service discovery techniques.